‘Life is Sweet’, the latest cookbook from The Hummingbird Bakery, takes the home baker on an adventure through all the best-loved recipes in the American baking tradition.
From pancakes to layer cakes, from icebox cakes to ice creams, this baking bible of 100 irresistible recipes is one you’ll treasure.
To get you started on your ‘Life is Sweet’ journey, we’re sharing our Red Velvet Ice Cream recipe from this bestselling cookbook below. If you fancy making this at home, enter our competition to win an incredible Cuisinart ice cream maker!
The Cuisinart Gelato and Ice Cream Professional makes homemade ice cream easy. Just add your ingredients, set the digital timer and press start!
This stylish machine makes 1.5L of ice cream, gelato, sorbet or frozen yoghurt in just 40 minutes. No need to pre freeze the bowl, your perfectly turned out ice cream will be frozen by a professional compressor system.
Two specially designed paddles (one for gelato and one for ice cream) help you to achieve perfect consistency in your favourite frozen dessert. For more details, visit the Cuisinart website here.
One lucky winner will win a Cuisinart Gelato and Ice Cream Professional (RRP £250) along with a copy of our bestselling cookbook ‘Life is Sweet’, which features melt-in-the-mouth recipes for homemade ice creams such as South Carolina Fig Ice Cream, Earl Grey and Chocolate Ice Cream and Peanut Butter Ice Cream.
But we guarantee you won’t just stop at ice creams when there are cookies, pies, layer cakes, pancakes, bars and much more to explore in the kitchen as you take on the quintessential flavours and recipes of American home baking. ‘Life is Sweet’ is your American baking bible.
Three runners up will each win a copy of ‘Life is Sweet’ along with a £20 voucher valid for one year to spend on goodies in-store at any of the six London branches of The Hummingbird Bakery.
For a chance to win a Cuisinart Gelato and Ice Cream Professional and a copy of ‘Life is Sweet’, just email your name and contact details to email@example.com by the closing date of Sunday 4th October.
Best of luck!
Red Velvet Ice Cream Recipe
We know that our home bakers like to get things perfect, so please don't fret about getting a deep red colour when making Red Velvet ice cream. Layering the ice cream with the cream cheese mixture will produce a homemade-style swirl when you scoop out the finished ice cream after it has set.
Makes 950ml (1¾ pints) ice cream
For the ice cream:
350ml (12fl oz) double cream
200g (7oz) caster sugar
1½ tbsp cocoa powder
6 large egg yolks
295ml (10fl oz) buttermilk
1 tsp red gel paste colouring
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cream cheese swirl:
115g (4oz) full-fat cream cheese, such as Philadelphia, cold
40g (1½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
160g (5½ oz) icing sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp double cream
Ice-cream maker and piping bag fitted with a large flat-tip nozzle
- To make the red velvet ice cream base, in a medium saucepan mix the double cream with 160g (5½ oz) of the sugar and the cocoa powder. Heat over a medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, until the sugar and cocoa have dissolved into the cream and the mixture is warm.
- In another bowl, combine the egg yolks and the remaining sugar, whisking until smooth.
- Once the cream mixture is warm, slowly pour it into the egg yolks and sugar, whisking constantly to make sure that the eggs don't scramble. Return the egg and cream mixture to the saucepan. Heat over a medium-high heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a spatula, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. When you draw a finger through the custard on the back of the spoon, it should leave a clean line.
- Pour the custard into a bowl and stir in the buttermilk, red food colouring and vanilla. Cover the custard with cling film, pressing it directly onto the surface to prevent a skin forming. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours until completely chilled.
- To make the cream cheese swirl, mix the cream cheese and butter using a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand-held electric whisk. Beat on a medium-high speed for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar and mix on a low speed just until incorporated. Blend in the vanilla and double cream then increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 2-3 minutes more.
- Put the cream cheese swirl mix into a piping bag fitted with a large flat-tip nozzle, as this will make it easier to layer the frosting with the ice cream, and put into the refrigerator.
- To assemble the ice cream, freeze the red velvet ice cream base in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once the base is ready, scoop enough ice cream to cover the bottom of a storage container. Pipe on a generous layer of the cream cheese swirl and scoop some more ice cream to cover, then keep alternating until you've used up all the ice cream and cream cheese swirl.
- Transfer to the freezer and freeze until firm. The colour might seem pink or salmony while in the ice-cream maker, but it should darken and develop when the ice cream is in the freezer.
(Recipe taken from ‘Life is Sweet: 100 original recipes for happy home baking’ by The Hummingbird Bakery, published by 4th Estate, £20.)
For more tips on making homemade ice cream or to find out how to make ice cream by hand, check out our blog post Tips for Making Homemade Ice Cream.
To order any of The Hummingbird Bakery’s bestselling cookbooks, visit here.
Terms and Conditions
- Entries close on Sunday 4th October 2015.
- The Competition is open to UK residents over the age of 16 excluding employees and affiliates of The Hummingbird Bakery or Cuisinart.
- One winner will win a Cuisinart Gelato and Ice Cream Professional and a copy of Life is Sweet. Three runners up will win a copy of Life is Sweet and a £20 voucher to spend in-store at The Hummingbird Bakery.
- One winner and three runners up will be selected at random after the closing date and contacted via email by The Hummingbird Bakery.
- Vouchers are valid for one year from the date of issue. Vouchers cannot be redeemed online and must be redeemed in-store at one of The Hummingbird Bakery’s six London branches. Vouchers must be redeemed subject to their printed Terms and Conditions found on the back of the voucher.
- A new winner will be selected at random if the original winner does not confirm their acceptance of the prize within two weeks of being notified. Only one entry is permitted per person.
- The names of the winner and runners up will be shared on The Hummingbird Bakery’s social media pages.
- The Hummingbird Bakery reserves the right to withdraw the competition at any time and for any reason. By entering the competition, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.