About The Hummingbird Bakery
The Hummingbird Bakery is an American-style bakery founded in 2004 to bring the authentic taste of American home baking to London. The company has five bakeries, which are situated in Notting Hill, South Kensington, Soho, Spitalfields and Islington. A delivery service is also available via The Hummingbird Bakery website. All of The Hummingbird Bakery’s products are sold fresh and are baked on-site by hand. The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, published by Ryland Peters & Small in 2009, has sold more than 650,000 copies. The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days, the second Hummingbird Bakery cookbook, is published by HarperCollins and was released on 17th March 2011. It has already sold more than 130,000 copies. The Hummingbird Bakery is a privately held, self-funded company.
History of The Hummingbird Bakery
- Spring 2004: First bakery is opened in Portobello Road. It sells 250 cupcakes in its first day of trading
- Summer 2004: The cupcake craze takes hold. Celebrities, newspaper columnists, diarists and visitors from all over the UK flood to the bakery to experience cupcakes for themselves
- May 2007: The Hummingbird Bakery on Portobello Road has outgrown itself and no longer has the capacity to serve its growing customer base. A new bakery is opened in South Kensington to meet with cupcake demand
- May 2009: The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, published by Ryland Peters & Small, is launched. Within the same year the cookbook achieves sales exceeding 100,000
- December 2009: The Hummingbird Bakery opens its third bakery, this time in Soho
- October 2010: For the first time in its history, The Hummingbird Bakery sells in excess of 1 million cupcakes in under 12 months
- March 2011: The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days, published by HarperCollins, is launched. In less than a week of sales it enters the non-fiction top 10
- May 2011: The Hummingbird Bakery expands into the East of London with the opening of its fourth bakery in Spitalfields
- January 2012: The Hummingbird Bakery’s Islington branch opens, just eight months after its previous branch launch.
For all media, sponsorship and charity related enquiries, please contact The Hummingbird Bakery press office.
T: +44 (0) 20 7851 1770
Due to the high volume of enquiries our press office receives, it will not be able to respond to general or employment and career related enquiries.
Product and sales enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head office enquiries: email@example.com
Employment and career enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org